Union Station Homeless Services
Empower families facing homelessness to transform their lives
Homelessness in LA Panel with Megan Katerjian (Door of Hope), Andy Bales (Union Rescue Mission), and Shawn Morrissey (Union Station Homeless Services): Sunday, April 18, 7pm
You missed the live panel but you can still watch the recording here: Homelessness in LA Panel.
Union Station’s goal is to help men, women and children rebuild their lives and end homelessness. They began ministering in 1973 on Pasadena’s Union Street, and currently operate five programs, providing a full array of services aimed at guiding the local homeless community to become stable and self-sufficient. Gifts received will meet the most basic needs of human existence and help rebuild broken lives.
Learn more at www.unionstationhs.org.
This is how you can pray for us:
This year, we focus on community. We know that the lasting solution to homelessness is housing. As the homelessness crisis deepens due to the recent pandemic, we aim to move more individuals and families into their own homes and into the community. To do this, we need
- Communities and neighbors who welcome new bridge housing and affordable housing projects in their neighborhoods, as well as funding for these projects;
- Local landlords willing to rent to tenants with a history of homelessness and a housing voucher;
- Community volunteers to work one-on-on with individuals and families who are moving into, or recently moved into, their own home to improve community integration and housing retention;
- Community volunteers to assist in a variety of roles throughout our organization, once COVID-19 rates return to safe levels; and
- Sufficient flexible funding that allows us to respond quickly and effectively to meet the dynamic needs of the individuals and families we serve.
Commit to pray for Union Station Rescue Mission
No matter how you choose to help, you will be a valuable member of our family when you volunteer at Union Station. Volunteer opportunities are varied, and we do our best to match volunteers with a position that suits their interests and skills. Due to COViD-19, we have shifted some of our regular volunteer opportunities for the duration of this pandemic. Please visit our website (unionstationhs.org/help/volunteer) for current and available opportunities and find out ways you can still be an essential part of our life-saving work. Sample volunteer opportunities include:
- Community Ally: Become a mentor and a friend to an individual or family who just moved into housing. Help them to get to know their new community by engaging in fun activities.
- Adopt-A-Meal Program: You can cook and serve a meal or drop off/cater a meal from a local restaurant at either the Adult Center or the Family Center
- Welcome Home Kits: Provide people moving in or out of one of our housing facilities with a kit of necessary items.
- Sack Lunches: Prepare sack lunches for shelter residents on-the-go as well as hungry community members.
- Other opportunities: administrative office support, teach a class, conduct mock interviews and more!